What is MCA?
MCA stands for Master of Computer Application. It is a Postgraduate Professional Degree Course of 3-6 years. It is a professional Master’s Degree in Computer Science provided in India. This Professional’s degree course is meant to fulfill the increasing demand for qualified professions in the field of Information Technology. It is a PG or Post-Graduate course that can be studied after getting a Bachelor’s Degree. The MCA course is focussed more on Application Development and is more inclined towards the latest programming language and tools for developing advanced applications.
MCA Course Eligibility
Following are the eligibility criteria that are required to be fulfilled by an MCA aspirant for getting admission to the course.
- To have passed BCA or any related field
- In the merit-based admission procedure, the aspirant needs to have secured a minimum required mark as per the institution’s requirement in the last qualifying examination.
- Through entrance exam, the aspirant needs to clear the MCA entrance exam 2019 and rounds such as GD and PI.
Course Description of MCA
MCA is a three-year course which consists of six semesters. The MCA course work consists of classroom lectures, practical and project work. The most crucial part of the MCA program is project work. The entire sixth semester is wholly focussed on the project work, and the specialization of the MCA aspirant is also decided in this semester.
Following are the syllabus or MCA course subjects that are taught in most of the Indian Universities, including both practical and theory subjects.
1st Year (1st Semester and 2nd Semester)
- Fundamentals of IT
- Programming in C
- Discrete Mathematics
- Computer Organization
- Data and File Structures
- Object-Oriented Programming in C++
- Operating Systems
- Database Management Systems
- Software Engineering
2nd Year (3rd Semester and 4th Semester)
- Theory of Computation
- Computer Graphics
- Java Programming
- Data Communication and Networking
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Data Warehousing and Data Mining
- Computer Networks
- Object-Oriented Analysis and Design
- Web Technologies
3rd Year (5th Semester and 6th Semester)
- Linux Programming
- Software Testing
- Enterprise Computing with Java
Following are the list of electives one can choose for the 5th Semester
- Advanced Database Management Systems
- Numerical and Scientific Computing
- Software Project Management
- Multimedia Technologies
- Mobile Computing
- Compiler Design
- Operational Research
- Distributed Systems
- Organizational Behaviour
- Advanced Computer Architecture
- Software Quality Management
- Digital Signal Processing
- Systems Development
- Systems Management
- Systems Engineering
- Application Software
- Software Development
- Hardware Technology
- Management Information Systems
Many Job opportunities are available for an MCA graduate. The aspirants having an MCA degree can have excellent career opportunities in top Information Technology (IT) firms and top Consultancy Agencies.
Due to the advancement of Information Technology and Communication Systems, candidates having good computer application knowledge and skills are in huge demand in the IT sector. MCA graduates can easily get placed in the Government and Private Sectors. There are so many employment opportunities available in both the Government and Private Sectors. Candidates can get profiles according to their caliber and skills.
Candidates with MCA professional degree can also select Teaching as a profession. They can also pursue their work as a lecturer in top Colleges and Universities.
MCA graduates can apply for:-
- Software Developer
- Computer System Analyst
- Software Engineer or Programmer
- Database Administrator
- Software Publisher
- Software Consultant
- Software Application Architect
- Web Designer or Web Developer
- Hardware Engineer
- Senior Technical Consultant
- Project Manager
The MCA graduates are hired by both Private and Government IT companies. The top Recruiters are as follows
- American Express
In India, the average salary of an MCA graduate ranges from ₹2.5 lakhs – ₹5 lakhs per annum. This salary range depends upon the working company, knowledge, and skills of the MCA aspirant. After gaining proper experience in the IT sector, MCA graduates can expect a high salary package in the future.